We are more than happy to support you!
Your neighbourhood guide
Sugamo station is one of the JR Yamanote train stops, which makes it one of the convenient places to live. In 6 minutes you reach Ikebukuro station by train, With the Mita line, you have easy access to Tokyo station and Meguro station. The trains which are coming to Sugamo station
– JR Yamanote line
– Mita line
Some historical facts about Sugamo:
– Sugamo was a resting place for pelgrims. Beside of temples in this area, it needed stores for the travelers.
– The current Grandma’s Harajuku street was an important part of the road Nakansendo in the Edo period, which connects Nihonbashi, Tokyo until Kyoto
Interesting points about Sugamo:
– You will notice a lot of stores selling strong red items, especially red underwear. They restore health and the color symbolizes the seniors of 60 years old, becoming babies again. Babies called in Japanese “Aka chan”, which means little reds.
– It might started being a senior famous street, because of the famous temple of health and healing along this Grandma’s Takeshita Street in Sugamo.
– There is a semi-arcade street close to Sugamo station, which has been renovated with some sustainable technical equipment, like solar panels, led street lights and dry mist system during the hot summer.
For knowing the area a bit better, a map with images:
To know more local places to visit in Sugamo, our reviews are interesting to read too. Thidaphat from sharehouse Sugamo tells her story of the neighborhood:
Resident Interview Apricot Terrace with Thidaphat
We offer lovely share houses for women all throughout Tokyo.